Blavatsky H.P. - The Secret Doctrine
There are several editions of The Secret Doctrine by H. P. Blavatsky:
- Würzburg manuscript of the book, which is a version of the book after HPB wrote it and before it was edited and altered for publication.
- First edition – the first original edition, 1888 (volumes 1, 2) and 1897 (vol. 3).
- Second edition is really a reprint of first edition with minor technical alteration; it was just an issue of additional copies of the book
- Third edition – third edition by A. Bezant and J. Mead, 1923
See Theosophy Wiki for more information.
There are several other online resources with The Secret Doctrine text:
- Universal Theosophy – Text has been updated from the 1888 first edition for spelling corrections, typographical errors, styling updates, and transliterations. Updates are traced by highlighting text and Table of Updates.
- Theosophical University Press Online – Obvious errors, such as missing letters, have been corrected against the facsimile edition of 1888, diacritical marks have been left off. Updates are described but not highlighted.
- Internet Sacred Text Archive provides the text without diacritic marks.
A third volume was compiled by A. Besant and published in 1897 after H. P. Blavatsky's death (1891). Text belongs to H.P.B., but she did not arrange nor approve this volume.
- The Myth of the "Missing" Third Volume of The Secret Doctrine by Daniel H. Caldwell
- Teopedia Storage accumulates files with different editions of The Secret Doctrine and additional information, such as referenced books, articles about SD, etc.
- The Writing of the Secret Doctrine. A Chronology by Daniel H. Caldwell (PDF)